Welcome!

Please enjoy reading about the process of becoming a doula, running a doula business, stories from the families, and highlights from the births I attend.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

March Update

Quick, let me get an update in for March!

It was a quiet month for Doula stuff.  I had a couple of phone call inquiries about doula services, but just seemed to be information gathering and I didn't meet any of the ladies face-to-face.  However, both calls were from the flyers and cards I mailed to one of the OB/GYN/CNM practices locally, so it's good to know that they are willing to give out my info!  Also, one of my new instructors for Spring quarter is an NP at that practice, so who knows!

I did FINALLY write up my last birth essay and mail all my paperwork into DONA.  So, now I wait.  It said it could take up to 8 weeks to get a response.  Hopefully, I dotted all my i's and crossed my t's and it will get approved and I can start saying I'm certified!

School is going well.  I survived Winter quarter and my last set of pre-RN classes.  I'm scheduled to take the NCLEX on April 19th, so I should be able to add RN to my resume very soon.  I applied for a couple of part-time jobs in L&D or post-partum, but my application was denied pretty quickly.  I'm guessing due to the speed of rejection it's because I'm not yet licensed.  However, after meeting with our instructor for Advanced Assessment who is also coordinating all of our NP and CNM clinicals for the next year, they stongly encouraged NOT working.  So, I think I will focus on learning how to be the best midwife possible and maybe picking up a doula client here and there. 

This quarters classes are Scientific Thought in Nursing and Financial Reimbursement which should both be fairly straight forward.  My biggie is Advanced Assessment.  It's a little overwhelming and scary, but I think will end up being lots of fun and will really lay the foundation for everything else.  Look for Week 5 when we get to do Female Reproductive and my first pelvic exam from the foot of the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment