Welcome!

Please enjoy reading about the process of becoming a doula, running a doula business, stories from the families, and highlights from the births I attend.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Update as of August

A busy course load this summer has me neglecting this blog, but no worries, I haven't been neglecting the new business!  I belive my last update was right after I finished training.  Since then I have got some business stuff done.  I finished some more of the required reading.  I still have 1 1/2 books left and plan to read them during my summer/fall break in a couple weeks.  I will also be taking my breastfeeding course during that time.  I have done some paperwork.  I have put together my discussion outilnes for my inital meet & greet meetings with potential clients, and what to cover during our 1st and 2nd prenatal meetings.  I ordered a Rebozo shawl and some position cards for labor/birth positions and Rebozo techniques that I can throw in my doula bag if I get stuck during a birth.  I also ordered a belly mapping workbook and plan to spend some time going over that during break, so I can help any clients with malpositioning issues.  I now have beautiful business cards and have created a nice one-page flyer that I could post on bulletin boards or leave at businesses.  During break, I'm going to work on distributing them with some cards to hopefully get my name out in the community.

As for school, the summer quarter was not focused on anything birth related, but my clinical hours were 12 hour shifts and high-acuity patients.  I think learning how to deal with the long hours is good and now I feel better under pressure dealing with either really sick people or emergency situations.  Hopefully, not many of those to come with doula clients, but still a skill that I will hold onto!  I will be looking forward to fall when I am taking "Conceptual Framework for Nurse-Midwifery Practice" as one of my classes along with Community nursing and Psych/Mental Health nursing.

As for clients, I've had some ups and downs.  I booked my first client due August 15th.  She happens to be one of my very best friends and lives out of state.  So, the logistics was going to be challenging, but I made whatever arrangements I could and the weekend of her baby shower did our prenatal meeting and started getting ready to go "on-call."  However, at her 36 week check-up, her blood pressure caused her doctor to do some additional bloodwork and send her over to the hospital labor and delivery.  We chatted and they wanted to do some additional bloodwork in the evening, so we weren't sure if a c-section was imminent or if she'd have a few more days/weeks.  We found out around 9 p.m. that she was showing symptoms of early HELLP syndrome, so they went ahead with the c-section right away.  So, unfortunately, I wasn't able to join her for her birth.  Thankfully, both she and the baby were fine and are doing great now, so I still call that a successful birth!

About two weeks ago, I was contacted by someone through my website who was due in October and we set a meet-and-greet for the next day.  We seemed to hit it off and she said she wanted to hire me, so we set up our first prenatal meeting for last week.  However, before the meeting date came, she told me she changed her mind.  She was looking for a primary support person and planned a medicated birth.  I think after talking with her family and doctor they convinced her she could do an unmedicated birth without extra support.  I wished her luck, but still hope she might reconsider before October.

So, then last week I was contacted by a new couple who may be interested in hiring me.  This one due in January.  I am meeting with them tomorrow to see if we're a good match.  I'm hopeful that soon I'll have someone booked. 

I am encouraged that without doing a whole lot to put my name out there yet, I've had a couple of inquiries.  Soon, I'll be hooked up with the right family and it will be great.  Hoping that my work over my break will get me some bookings as well.  I feel ready to go to a birth and I think I'll do a great job.

So, unless I have time in between, I'm now planning to update the blog once a month, so look for an update in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment