Welcome!

Please enjoy reading about the process of becoming a doula, running a doula business, stories from the families, and highlights from the births I attend.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Welcome to My Blog!

So, I'm starting a blog!  This blog is for the sole purpose of blogging about my experiences as a doula.  If you are looking for a doula in the Columbus area, I may be the woman for you!  I am going through the DONA International Training June 3-5, 2011.  After those dates, I will be ready to book births for this summer and beyond.

A little about me...
I am 32 years old and have been married to an amazingly supportive man for 10 years.  He is literally my soulmate and I can't believe how lucky I am to have a husband who supports all my dreams and ambitions.  We have three beautiful children.  Grace who is 6 years old.  She was born at 39 weeks, 1 day after a spontaneous rupture of membranes sent us to the hospital.  We did have an epidural and after 9 hours of labor and 40 minutes of pushing, she was born 8 pounds, 11 ounces.  However, she had a shoulder dystocia which was very scary for us at that time, but ended up not causing any permanant issues.  She was also born with a cleft of the soft palate which was repaired at about 13 months of age.  In between child number 1 and 2, I had a battle with breast cancer.  I had a lumpectomy, chemo, radiation, and a couple other drugs, and then finally got the all clear to continue our family.  Our middle child, Luke, is 3 years old.  He was born at 37 weeks, 3 days after an induction due to large size and previous should dystocia.  I again had an epidural and another shoulder dystocia!  He was a big boy though and weighed in at 10 pounds, 8 ounces!  Our third child, Faith, is 1 year old.  She was also induced at 37 weeks becuase of the previous history.  She glided into the world with 2 pushes and one contraction and finally, no shoulder dystocia!  She was a petite 8 pounds, 2 ounces and shockingly, also born with a cleft of the hard and soft palate.  It was repaired last September when she was 9 months old.

My major life goal is to become a Certified Nurse Midwife.  I used to be an insurance broker, but my birth experiences and my desire to be in a position to help and work with pregnant women, led me to a career change.  I am in the Graduate Entry Masters of Nursing program at The Ohio State University.  I started fall of 2010 and will finish after Summer 2013.  While I'm still working on my studies and getting through the program, I wanted a way that I could get into more labor and birth situations and gain valuable experience that will make me a better midwife.  Becoming a doula is the perfect fit.  I will get to labor with women and become an expert on comfort techniques and really enhance my empathy.  This also allows me to start making a difference for families NOW, rather than in 2 more years when I finish school.  Lastly, I want to be the kind of midwife that is really "there" for a family, rather than just showing up for delivery of the baby.  Experience as a doula will only make me a better midwife.

So, if you are here looking for a doula, I'd love to work with you and your family.  You will find me to be a very kind person.  I seem to have a gift for seeing all sides of a situation and diffusing tense situations.  I will help you understand procedures and medical terminology (as I'm studying that right now) and I will help be your advocate to communicate your desires to the health care team, while keeping a goal of "Healthy Baby, Healthy Mom" at the forefront of every decision.  I will support and encourage you during labor and help your partner experience the labor and birth with you in the best way possible.  I don't have any hidden agendas and will not pass judgement if you decide to accept pain medications or need a c-section.  I will help you with breastfeeding and making the transition from pregnant woman to MOM. 

I can't wait to share this experience with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment